Skip to content

Transfer SEVIS Record to Kent State


In order to transfer from the current institution to Kent State, an F-1 student must notify an international student advisor at their current institution of the intent to transfer and inform Kent State’s International Student and Scholar Services of his/her Transfer Release Date [See 8 CFR § 214.2 (f)(8)].

What is a SEVIS Transfer?

F-1 students must complete a SEVIS record transfer in addition to transferring any academic records prior to attending Kent State University.

A SEVIS record transfer is the process of your former or current educational institute in the U.S. releasing your SEVIS record to Kent State University. Your SEVIS record is the electronic version of your I-20. Therefore, you will need to follow the process below in order to successfully complete a SEVIS transfer.

If you have questions or need help throughout your transfer process, please email If you have general questions about applying to your academic program please email

An F-1 student may transfer to Kent State University if all of the following conditions are met:

  • You are in valid F-1 student status at another SEVIS-approved institution. This means you attended any of the following as an F-1 student: high school, University, College, or Language Training program.
  • You have been accepted into an academic program at Kent State University.
  • You can provide financial documentation that covers 1 year of expenses at Kent State University. Current Tuition Rates can be found at

NOTE: If your SEVIS record is out of status, you must apply for reinstatement or depart the U.S. and re-enter on a new initial I-20 issued by Kent State University. If you need assistance with this process, please email and clearly identify that you need more information on transferring from one school in the U.S. to Kent State University, but that you are out of status. 

Further steps to transfer your SEVIS record are available under the Transfer In request in the Request Center of this portal.