Add New Dependent
F-2 DependentsThe spouse and unmarried minor children (under the age of 21) of an F-1 student can be admitted in F-2 status to accompany the student to the United States or join the student at a later date.
Requesting the F-2 I-20
- Initial F-1 Students: Upon receiving the email with instructions for obtaining your I-20, you should inform the I-20 Team that you intend on bringing dependents. Be prepared to show additional funding in the amount of $4,500 for the first dependent and $2,500 for each additional dependent and passport information. For any questions about obtaining the F-2 I-20 as an initial student, please email email@example.com. Upon receiving the F-2 I-20, the F-1 student should sign the I-20.
- Current F-1 Students: If you would like to invite your dependents to join you in the U.S. please email firstname.lastname@example.org or make an appointment. Be prepared to show additional funding in the amount of $4,500 for the first dependent and $2,500 for each additional dependent and passport information. An ISSS advisor will work with you to create the F-2 I-20. Upon receiving the F-2 I-20, the F-1 student should sign the I-20.
Once dependents have their I-20, they must either:
- Apply for an F-2 U.S. Entry Visa at the US Embassy or Consulate overseas (except Canadian citizens) and gain F-2 status through entry to the US by presenting their:
- dependent I-20
- F-2 U.S. Entry Visa (accompanied by any supporting documents) at the U.S. Port of Entry; OR
- Apply for a Change of Status within the U.S.
Upon entry into the U.S. the F-1 must report the arrival of the dependent(s) and bring their passport, I-94, and I-20 to ISSS during an appointment visit.
F-2 Immigration Check-In
Additional Information for Dependents:
Travel and Reentry to USF-2 dependents follow similar travel and reentry procedures as the F-1 status holder, but should carry copies of the F-1’s most recent immigration documents if traveling separately.
StudyF-2 dependents may study at the post-secondary level part-time in the U.S.
F-2 children may fully enroll in elementary or secondary school full time.
EmploymentF-2 dependents are not permitted to engage in any employment.
Please find all dependent requests in the Request Center of your ISSS Portal.