Skip to content

Transfer SEVIS Record Out


To transfer a SEVIS record from Kent State to a new school, an F-1 student must notify an international student advisor in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) of the intent to transfer by completing a transfer form, paying any outstanding balances due to Kent State, demonstrating admission to a new institution, and indicating a Transfer Release Date. See 8 CFR § 214.2 (f)(8).


If you are currently in F-1 status, you may transfer your SEVIS record (I-20) to another SEVIS-approved school if both of the following conditions are met:
  • You are in valid F-1 student status at Kent State with an active SEVIS record.
  • You are currently enrolled at Kent State or are in your 60-day grace period following completion of your program.
NOTE: You can stay in the United States when transferring as long as you begin classes at the new institution in the next available term or within five months of the last day of classes at Kent State, whichever comes first. If you are out-of-status, you must apply for reinstatement or depart the U.S. and re-enter on a new initial I-20 issued by your new school.

You can complete the Transfer Out Request in the Request Center of the ISSS Portal.