Leave of Absence
OverviewThe purpose of this form is to notify International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) of your intention to take either a leave of absence or withdraw from Kent State University. You can access this form in the Request Center of the ISSS Student Portal.
- Complete the Leave of Absence Form
- Make an appointment with an ISSS advisor using Web Scheduler found here.
- Withdraw from all of your classes after only ISSS approves your request. The Registrar’s Office can help you, if necessary. If the semester’s withdrawal date has passed, you will need to complete a “Petition for Exception to Registration.” More information can be found on the registrar's website here.
- Depart the United States within 15 days of submission of this form.
If you are planning on re-entering the United States following your leave of absence:
- If you will not be out of classes for more than five months: enter with your current I-20 and a valid travel signature. Notify ISSS thirty (30) days in advance of the start of the semester for which you wish to return to ensure your record will be returned to ACTIVE. Please email us a confirmation of your return ticket to the U.S.
- If you will not be in classes for more than five months: contact ISSS at least two months prior to your return. You will need a new SEVIS record and I-20. The Department of State advises students to apply for a new visa at a US Consulate or Embassy before re-entry if returning from a leave of greater than five months with initial attendance I-20s.
Note: If you wish to return for the summer semester you must be registered for classes full time during that semester.