Skip to content

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT Overview

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a benefit of the F-1 visa student status, which requires prior authorization from a Designated School Official (ISSS Advisor). This opportunity may allow international students to engage in practical training during the course of their program.

According to 8CFRSEC.214.2(f)(10)(i) Curricular Practical Training (CPT) must be "an integral part of an established curriculum." Curricular Practical training is "alternate work/study, internship, co-operative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school."

Under "Approver" information, DO NOT list an ISSS Advisor or your employer. Instead, you MUST provide the name, e-mail address, and other contact information for one of the following:
  • For internship or practicum course: your primary academic advisor, the instructor of record for the internship or practicum course, or the internship or practicum coordinator of your academic department or college
  • For an approved Co-op provide the name and contact information of the co-op coordinator.
  •  If the proposed employment is essential to the completion of your thesis or dissertation, list your thesis or dissertation advisor.

CPT authorization must occur BEFORE an international student begins practical training.

CPT Eligibility

You are eligible for CPT if:
  • You are in valid F-1 status at the time of application and have been in full-time status on the same SEVIS record for 1 academic year preceding the CPT application.
  • You abide by all rules surrounding full-time course registration while on CPT
  • You have NOT completed all of the coursework and requirements for your program
  • The CPT experience is either
    • Required--satisfying a program requirement placed on ALL students, or
    • Elective--meaning you will register for coursework in your program of study in the concurrent semester to represent the CPT experience (you will need to speak with your academic advisor regarding an internship course and you will need to speak with both your academic advisor and consult the Cooperative Education website regarding co-op courses)
  • The CPT experience is an integral part of the major program of study

CPT Special Considerations


  • CPT and employment CANNOT interfere with your requirement to make normal progress towards completing full course of study
  • CPT may be authorized for either PART Time or FULL Time
  • Part Time CPT is authorized for 20 hours a week or less
  • Full Time CPT is authorized for more than 20 hours a week or more (there is no maximum)
  • If 365 days of FULL Time CPT are used, OPT eligibility is lost
  • Full Time CPT participants may choose not to enroll in any additional courses or take less than a full course load for 1 semester per academic program
    • Eligibility to be less than full time MUST be discussed with an ISSS advisor in advance
  • Transferring out of KSU ends your authorized CPT on the date of your SEVIS transfer
  • Some on-campus internships require CPT authorization (if you are receiving academic credit for the experience, you will likely require CPT)
  • You can not begin working until you receive your I-20 with CPT authorization and can only work for the employer and dates on the second page. If you would like to apply for an extension of your CPT authorization, you will need to submit a new CPT authorization request before your current CPT end date.
CLICK HERE for the CPT Overview Presentation

Please complete the Curricular Practical Training Request in the Request Center of the ISSS Portal.